Friday, July 22, 2011

Facebook Friday: Getting Past 420

Considering how most of us are writers, I'm sure there is more than one of us that sometimes find 420 character limit on Facebook just a little too short to get out our full message. 

Guess what. I have a solution.

Ok, this is such a simple solution, it's probably not even worthy of a full post.  But I have to tell you I am embarrassed how long it took me to learn this which is why I'm so eager to share.

First, in case you don't know what I'm talking about, let me show you. If you try to post a status that has more than 420 characters (it's longer than Twitter at least) you get a message that looks like this:


To get past that, all you have to do is load a photo - any photo, though preferably one appropriate to your post.  Once you load the photo, type your status in the box that says "Say something about this photo. You can talk forever. Go ahead, try it. Of course the bottom will have a link that says "See More" but that's ok, right? Here's what I mean:

When this could be useful as a writer: Maybe you want to post an excerpt of your book. Or maybe a book review.  Maybe you don't have a blog or you don't want to post your book review or excerpt on your blog. Or maybe you just have a long status update. Whatever your reason, sometimes you just have more to say. Try this trick and let us know how it works for you.

And what are your thoughts on the Facebook 420 bypass? Did you already know that trick? Have you ever had trouble with the status limit, or is that just me?

In other news: Deanna Barnhart's Week 3 Blogfest was a blast. There were many great queries and I was honored to be a top ten finalist! Thank you to all who helped me tweak my query.  And congratulations to Lisa Ann Chikos who had the winning query. Woot! Woot! If you haven't checked out her blog, I recommend you do; she's got a good one.

2 comments:

Michelle Fayard said...

Maybe because I don't use FB as much as blogs or Twitter this hasn't been too much of an issue for me, but I'm glad to know a workaround exists. Thanks, Laura!

Carol Riggs said...

I just joined FB, so I didn't even know it had a limit! :) Thanks for the info in case I need it!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! You can choose to comment as a guest or use any of the other login options available after you hit "Post As". Thanks for contributing to the conversation :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...